Lindale High School: Dress Code
DRESS AND GROOMING
The District's dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, instills discipline, prevent disruption, avoid safety hazards, and teach respect for authority. Only the type of dress and grooming that lends itself to the very best possible learning situation for the student body will be permitted. Student dress and grooming that are not conducive to the ultimate in student decorum and discipline will not be permitted. The principal is responsible for administering the dress and grooming code on his or her campus. Violations of the dress code will result in a step in the Discipline Step Plan.
1. Are to button shirts and blouses from the first button below the collar downward.
2. Are allowed to wear shorts that are no shorter than 3” from the top of the knee. All shorts must be hemmed. Bike shorts may only be worn if covered by other shorts. No boxer shorts are allowed.
3. May not wear T-shirts or other articles of clothing that advertise alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, illicit drugs, etc., have a vulgar slogan, suggestive comment, vulgar or suggestive picture on them, or have pictures or persons on them that fail to meet the standards of good taste outlined in this policy.
4. Are prohibited from wearing clothing that is sheer or "see-through" without proper undergarments being worn, such as slips for girls and undershirts for boys.
5. May not bring sunglasses, caps, hats, head bands, or other head coverings into the academic building. Hats brought into the academic building will be confiscated and returned to the student at the end of the semester.
6. Are prohibited from wearing clothing that exposes a bare midriff when both arms are raised.
7. Are prohibited from wearing chains, including wallet chains.
8. Are prohibited from wearing torn or cut clothing of any kind. Holes must be patched in a permanent manner not to include stapling, pinning or duct taping.
9. Are prohibited from wearing big, baggy pants. Pants must be worn at the true waist.
10. Are prohibited from using exaggerated makeup or hair colors.
11. Are to wear appropriate footwear (no house shoes).
12. Are to wear appropriate undergarments.
13. Are prohibited from having any visible body piercing or tongue rings. (Ex. May not have nose, lip, or eye brow piercing.)
14. Are prohibited from having any exposed tattoos.
15. No gang-related clothing will be allowed
16. No gang graffiti on book covers or backpacks.
17. No head coverings unless approved by the office.
18. May not wear contact lenses that by their design or color disrupt the learning process.
19. Hair is not to be an exaggerated color.
20. No house shoes or pajama pants.
21. Plaited hair can not contain any beads, plastic material.
22. Wearing any type of clothing that may be deemed a disruption (gang related, controversial) by a school administrator to the educational environment.
23. Mouth jewelry is not allowed. Mouth grills are prohibited.
24. Ear gauging is prohibited. Distractive ear piercing is also prohibited.
25. Oversized shirts and t-shirts are prohibited. Shirts that hang low when not tucked in to the waistline may pose a safety threat.
1. May not wear low-neck blouses.
2. May wear slacks or jeans. If dresses are worn, the bottom of the dress must be within 3” from the knee.
3. May wear sundresses and like apparel provided they are not cut too low in front or back for proper decorum.
4. Are to keep hair well groomed.
5. May not wear shirts, tops, blouses or dresses that resemble tank tops. Spaghetti straps are not permitted. Shoulder straps must be a minimum of 2” in width.
6. Leggings must be covered by shorts, skirt, pants, or dress that meets all dress code requirements.
7. The ‘highest’ bottom of skirts, shorts and dresses must be within 3” from the knee.
1. May not wear tank tops, sleeveless shirts or shirts with sleeves cut or torn out. All sleeves must have a hem.
2. Are to keep hair neatly cut and well groomed. Inappropriate length hair is deemed to have the potential when straightened in the following areas. In the back, the hair shall not extend past one inch from the top of the collar of a dress shirt. It should not extend below the bottom of the ears and is to be kept out of the eyes. Hair is not to be pony-tailed or cut in any fashion that is disruptive to the educational process including ‘Mohawks’ or exaggerated lines cut in hair.
3. Are prohibited from having any facial hair.
4. May not wear any type of ear adornment.
5. Sideburns are not to extend below the earlobe.
6. May not wear painted fingernails.
7. May not wear facial makeup.
NOTE: Students out of dress code will receive a step on the Discipline Step Plan and have the opportunity to correct it. If unable to correct it the student will be able to stay at school and go to OCS without receiving a major violation step. Students will not be allowed to leave campus to change clothes without parent permission.
NOTE: The principal, in cooperation with the sponsor, coach, or other person in charge of an extracurricular activity, may regulate the dress and grooming of students who participate in the activity. Students who violate dress and grooming standards established for such an activity may be removed or excluded from the activity for a period determined by the principal or sponsor, and may be subject to other disciplinary action, as specified in the Student Code of Conduct.